Sewer Lateral Repair Program

Sewer Lateral Repair Program covers repairs to sewer line under the right of way

Begin online Call 314-622-4800


The ENTIRE sewer lateral line from your home to the MSD main is private property. However, the City's Sewer Lateral Repair Program (SLRP) was created to assist homeowners with the cost of repairs under the public right of way section of the line.  

All owners of residential property with 6 or fewer units pay a $28 fee on their real estate property taxes. These funds are used to repair broken sewer lateral lines running under the public right of way. The goal of the SLRP is to repair severe damage that is causing cave-ins in the right of way or back up in the home. It does not cover breaks in the portion of the lateral line that runs under private property. It does not cover clearance of clogs/tree roots along ANY portion of the lateral line.

Sewer Lateral Drawing


  • Report any street or alley cave-ins - if a cave-ins is observed report it to the Citizens' Service Bureau using the "Begin Online" button.
  • Obtain a license plumber report - If you believe you have a sewer lateral break or leak, have the line checked by a licensed plumber and submit your plumber's report to the Street Department.
  • Cave-ins location - If the break is under private property (and not under the right-of-way), repairs are the complete responsibility of the homeowner and not eligible for the Sewer Lateral Repair Program (SLRP).
  • Determine property eligibility - Only properties of 6 units or less that have fully paid their real estate taxes are eligible. 
  • Pay back taxes - If back taxes are owed, those taxes must first be paid before the property will be eligible for the Sewer Lateral Repair Program.


Upon receipt of a cave-in report, the street inspector will inspect the cave-in and consult with the Metropolitan Sewer District (MSD) to determine if their sewer main is the cause of the problem. If it is determined the main is in tact, free of obstruction, then the homeowner will need to have their lateral line inspected by a private plumber.

If your plumber determines there is a break under the right of way, submit your plumber's statement/DVD to the Street Department, attn: SLRP, 1900 Hampton, St. Louis MO 63139.  Statements can also be faxed to 314-768-2888.

Begin online Call 314-622-4800


If the break/leak is under the right of way, there is no fee for the repair. (Assuming your Real Estate Taxes are paid and your property is assessed the Sewer Lateral insurance fee).

What to Expect

The Street Department prioritizes the various jobs according to the severity of the problem. Properties experiencing waste water backup are highest priority. Other locations are taken in the sequence in which they were registered into the program. It is important for homeowners to know that many sewer lines in the City of St. Louis are over 100 years old and made from clay pipe. These pipes are susceptible to shift due to ground settling. No pipe is going to be 100% free of defects. The goal of the SLRP is to repair severe damage that is causing cave-ins in the right of way or back up in the home.


Department of Streets

(314) 647-3111

1900 Hampton
St. Louis, Mo 63139

Monday thru Friday, 8:00 - 4:30

Contact the Department of Streets

Was this page helpful?      

Comments are helpful!
500 character limit

Feedback is anonymous.

6 comments from people like you have helped us improve this page.