Mow To Own Program
Learn how owners of residential properties can acquire a vacant lot owned by LRA by maintaining it.
On This Page
The 'Mow to Own' Program is designed for City residents who wish to acquire a vacant lot owned by LRA.
The 'Mow to Own' Program is a 'sweat equity' program where residents may take immediate ownership of a vacant lot that is located next to an occupied residential or commercial property that they own, for a nominal fee. Participants must agree to continually maintain the lot, including regular mows and debris removal, for twenty-four months.
The LRA Board of Commissioners must approve each transaction. Following approval by the Board of Commissioners, the successful applicant will receive a deed to the property with a maintenance lien, allowing the property to be reacquired by LRA should the applicant fail to maintain the lot.
After twenty-four months, if there are no findings of violation from the City's Forestry Division and no complaints, LRA will remove the maintenance lien and the owner will own the property.
Step 1: Identify An Eligible Lot
Eligible Lots are:
Lot may not exceed 40 feet frontage
Lot may not be contiguous to three or more LRA, LCRA, or PIEA owned parcels
The lot must be the property of the LRA for a minimum of three years
Lot must be vacant and unimproved real property
Step 2: Applicant Qualifications
An applicant to qualify must:
Applicants must have paid all real estate taxes on all properties that they own in the City of St. Louis, and have no outstanding violations on those properties
Applicants must own property with an occupied residential or commercial structure, immediately adjacent to the desired lot
Step 3: Maintenance Requirements
Keep property free and clear of debris and excess vegetation
Comply with City ordinances, including keeping grass cut to no higher than seven inches
Pay current real estate taxes assessed on the lot
To apply for the Mow To Own Program:
- Download the Mow To Own application or pick up an application in the LRA office at 1520 Market St., Suite 2000
- Fill out the application and return it to the LRA office along with the $25.00 processing fee.
- Submit the application by 12:00 noon on the following dates:
- May 6, 2020 for the May 27, 2020 meeting
- June 3, 2020 for the June 24, 2020 meeting
- July 8, 2020 for the July 29, 2020 meeting
- August 5, 2020 for the August 26, 2020 meeting
- September 9, 2020 for the September 30, 2020 meeting
- October 7, 2020 for the October 28, 2020 meeting
- November 24, 2020 for the December 16, 2020 meeting
- $25.00 application processing fee, cashiers check or money order (non refundable).
- $100.00 administrative fee, which includes recording costs for the initial deed and the subsequent release of the maintenance item.
- There is no additional cost for the land itself
Note: Participants may choose to acquire title insurance at their own cost.
What to Expect
Each application to the Mow To Own program will be reviewed by staff to determine if the parcel meets the program's requirements.
Staff will provide a recommendation to the board of Commissioners regarding the application.
The application will be presented to the Commission at the next available meeting.
If the application is approved by the Board of Commissioners, the successful applicant will receive a deed to the property with a maintenance lien allowing the property to be reacquired by LRA should the applicant fail to maintain the lot.
The LRA Commission meetings are held on the following dates at 8:30 am in the SLDC Board Room at 1520 Market St., Suite 2000. (All dates and times are subject to change without notice.)
- May 27, 2020
- June 24, 2020
- July 29, 2020
- August 26, 2020
- September 30, 2020
- October 28, 2020
- December 16, 2020
Search Properties Owned by the Land Reutilization Authority
Land Reutilization Authority
1520 Market St., Suite 2000
St. Louis, MO 63103
8:30 A.M. - 4:30 P.M.
1 comment from someone like you has helped us improve this page. Keep the feedback coming!