Land Divisions

In colonial times this area was composed of portions of three Spanish land grants, later called surveys. Its southern portion; from Delmar to Maple Avenue, west of Union, was part of the Papin Tract of Survey 378. Most of the eastern portion was the northern section of Survey 2036 generally known as the Cabanne Farm. Northward from Maple Avenue to its northern limit and west to Hodiamont Avenue was Survey 3033, originally owned by Baptiste La Fleur. Jean Pierre Cabanne came to St. Louis in 1806, married Julie Gratiot, a descendant of the Chouteau family, and made his fortune in the fur trade. When his farm was later subdivided, his sons Lucian and Francis Cabanne took title to the portion called Mount Cabanne. This was north of Delmar between Kingshighway and Union. Westward from Union, north of Delmar, were strips of Survey 378 owned by the James Clemens, Jr. estate, Lucian Cabanne and Emanuel de Hodiamont. By the mid1850's, parts of a strip of Survey 3033, between Maple and Bartmer Avenues, were owned by William T. Gay, John La Barge and Theodore Rinkel. To the north of this were two large tracts, embracing the balance of the survey, which were the properties of James H. Lucas and Hamilton R. Gamble. Gamble, who was governor of Missouri during the Civil War, named his 400 acre estate "Rose Hill" because of his fondness for flowers. By the 1870's, these large tracts were being subdivided for residential uses, beginning with the platting of Rose Hill in 1871. By 1875, several large estates with fashionable mansions were located along the west side of Union north of Delmar. These included homes of the Blossom, Monks, Cabanne, Colman, and Gay families. Housing construction began substantially in the area during the early eighties and by 1900 the district was rather solidly built up. Some of the principal subdivisions in the tier along Delmar were Clemens Place (1885), Rosedale (1886), and Hamilton Place (1887). Further north were Cabanne Place (1888), Maryville Addition (1875), Cabanne's Subdivision (1877), and the Arcade Addition (1893). The large Rose Hill section was resubdivided in later years to create Chamberlain Park, Horton Place, Amherst Place and Mount Gamble. In the area between Union and Kingshighway were Mount Cabanne, Raymond Place, and Lucas and Hunt's Addition to Cote Brilliante. Several smaller private subdivisions were developed near Union and Delmar after 1890, including Beverly Place (1905), Savoy Court (1909), and Windermere Place (1895).