A memorable disaster in the history of the Arlington area occurred in October, 1916, when the Christian Brothers College building was destroyed by fire. This was a large four story structure in the 19th century classical style with a curved mansard roof. Its campus was the present Sherman Park at Kingshighway and Easton. The fire, one of the worst in the City's history, took ten lives. C.B.C. began in 1849 and later occupied a building on South Eighth Street. After the Civil War it moved to the, then, rural setting on Easton Avenue, where it flourished until the fire. Finally recovering, the school moved into its present building at 6501 Clayton Road in 1922, where it operated as a high school. The school's present military program was inaugurated in 1933. A later Catholic secondary school in the area was the William C. McBride High School at 1909 North Kingshighway which opened in 1924. Its building is presently occupied by the public M. L. King High School.
Public school education in the area started with the Arlington School, in a small frame building on St. Charles Road a half mile east of Rinkelville in 1880. It later relocated on its present site at 1617 Burd Avenue, where the existing school was erected in 1925. At 2847 North Kingshighway is the Benton School, whose building was completed in 1894 with additions in 1903. It is named for Senator Thomas Hart Benton and was designed by architect A. H. Kirchner. Pierre Laclede School at 5821 Kennerly Avenue, honors the City's founder. It was finished in 1914 from designs by William B. Ittner.
In 1931, the John H. Gundlach school at 2931 Arlington Avenue was opened. It bears the name of a prominent St. Louis businessman and was designed by George W. Sanger. During the 1960's, three new schools were built in the Arlington area. These are the Lexington at 5030 Lexington Avenue, the Langston at 5511 Wabada and the Stowe School at 5750 Lotus Avenue. The latter two were designed by the architectural firm of William B. Ittner, Inc.
A public school facility which operated in the area for many years was the Public Schools Stadium on Kingshighway north of St. Louis Avenue. It fulfilled a long felt need for a centralized location for high school athletics and was dedicated in 1928. After falling into disuse in later years, it was finally razed in the late 1960's. Its site is proposed as the new home of the Mathews-Dickey Boys Club.